"Zest is the secret of all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without zest." - Christian Dior

Sunday 1 July 2012

Old faithful – Diorskin Nude Natural Glow Hydrating Make-up


Don’t you hate it when everything runs out, all at once? Well, no, actually. I love a good Boots splurge, me. My wallet isn’t so keen, but I find there’s no greater feeling than wandering into Boots with a product list and a determined look on your face.

Part of the point and purpose of the trip was to also try out a new foundation, which I’ve had my eye on for a while – Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid makeup – unfortunately, although the texture felt divine and coverage was fabulous, it was far, far too yellow for my skintone (I tried it in the palest colour, Limpide). Shame really, I was a little bit gutted.

Sigh. Back to the old faithful, then. Back to the only foundation I have ever repurchased, and several times at that. I’m talking about Dior’s Diorskin Nude Fluid foundation.

Boots had got a fab offer on, where a £50 purchase of premium beauty products entitled you to an instant tenner off. Not sure how long it will last, but my sister and I loaded up on stuff and managed to qualify twice for this promo (by putting the purchases through in two separate transactions).

Anyway, back to the foundation. Diorskin Nude is the only foundation I’ve tried which fulfils the Holy Trinity of Foundation Purchasing – right coverage, right colour and right for my skin type. Coverage is medium-sheer, the colour has is a lovely neutral beige undertone and although it doesn’t seem to actively moisturise my skin that much, it certainly doesn’t dry it out or go flaky at all, which is a mini miracle.

If you haven’t tried Dior foundations before, their numbering system is actually quite good. They use three digits, which is a bit superfluous really. The second number indicates the intensity (how light/dark it is) where 1 is the lightest. The third number indicates the undertone, where 0 is neutral, 1 is warm (yellow/olive), 2 is cool (pink) and 3 is peachy (warm, but not olive). As a word of warning though, not all intensities are the same in the different Dior formulas – in the Diorskin Sculpt, for example, the 010 Ivory is almost white, whereas in Diorskin Nude it is a tad darker. The undertones do seem to run true, though.

My perfect colour in Diorskin Nude is 020 – Light Beige. Please bear in mind, that this foundation does oxidise ever so slightly – not so bad for me, with super-dry skin, but if you’re slightly oilier this may cause you an issue (having said that, if you’re oily-skinned, I wouldn’t recommend this foundation anyway).

From the Boots website:

“Containing nearly 40% water, this fluid foundation offers an instant sensation of well-being and complete skin hydration. A very natural looking foundation that illuminates your face for a healthy glow. With daily use, the skin becomes more beautiful for an ever more natural and radiant result day after day.”

Let’s have a look at it in 020 - Light Beige:

 
I prefer to apply this with either my fingers or a stippling brush to blend out the edges seamlessly; having said that, this foundation doesn’t take that much effort on the blending front. I can apply a second coat without too much caking, but generally I tend not to bother – the medium-sheer coverage of this foundation is its major selling point, so putting on an extra layer would probably defeat the object.

It definitely gives a glow to the skin, without being overly dewy (which usually means “shiny”). I can get away without powder, but do usually put a little bit on round the nose and mouth in order to up the staying power, which is actually not bad even without the powder (about eight hours-ish on me). A little touch up of powder mid-afternoon and job’s a good ‘un.

Using this every day, I will get a good few months of wear out of this – a little goes a long way. One good, solid pump is usually enough for my whole face.

Diorskin Nude Natural Glow Hydrating Make-up is available from Boots.com for £31.00.

Jen
X

3 comments:

  1. I do love a Boots splurge! Glad you've found a foundation that works well for you - I'm still searching for 'the one'! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria! I may have even let out a little squeal the first time I realised how good this foundation is. Hopefully you'll find your HG soon; although searching for it is half the fun!

    Loving your blog, by the way x

    ReplyDelete